Sunday, February 17, 2013

odds and ends again.......

This is the last long weekend for me until memorial day. That's a couple of months away and it's also when I'll be heading out to Iowa for the hand tool event. That will probably be the only time I'll be able to see some of the woodworking "names" in my lifetime. But until then I'm going to take it slow this weekend.

I am making another sliding lid box for my strops and rouge. All was going well in Disneyland until it came time to make the grooves.

everything fits
what I'm trying to avoid/clean up
The small box on the left holds my rouge and I put the strop to the left of that. As you can see the strop sheds like a long hair cat in the summer. This is cleaned up too. I usually vacuum this up when  I use the strop.
Yikes!
I was so damn intent on getting the  groove just right (which I did) that I forgot to make sure that I was making it on the right spot.  There isn't any way to fix this..... I'll put a bottom on it and use it for a catch all box somewhere. It'll be a reminder of what happens when I don't check for my witness marks first. I'll have to make another box for the rouge and strops.

new box all cut out
I did all the cuts by hand and planed all the pieces to length, parallel widths, and square. I wanted to see if I could make this box by hand. All the parts, feel to my finger tips, to be of the same dimensions. I especially made sure that the ends were dead nuts square so my dovetails would turn out ok.

not much to plug
I'm not sure that I am going to plug these holes. Leaving them as is, isn't going to effect how the box will be used.

using the original sliding lid
Made another decision here to reuse the original lid, now too short in the length, on this box. I tried to stretch it and got nowhere with that.

using the first box to get my rabbet depth
layout for the finger grabbie thingie
h
gouge this time - no drill and jig
I am going to try and do this the way I saw Paul Sellers do it in box installment #7. I tried it once before and results weren't that good.

done
Better than my first attempt but no where as good as what Paul did. He used a #7 gouge and I only have a #9.  For a box that will be in a drawer it's ok and it does work in spite of not looking perfect.


I put a chamfer on the edges
This chamfer isn't the same all the way around. The ends are steeper than the sides so I don't have the angle bisecting the corners.  I did the chamfer to knock off the square sides of the rabbets.

finished
won't fit where I want to put it
I'll have to do some rearranging of the drawer. This will force me to do some house cleaning, not that I'll throw anything away.
\
grabbie stuff
I put this grabbie stuff under the feet of my bench a couple of weeks ago. So far it's doing it's job and the bench hasn't moved. Before I did this, if I bumped the bench it moved. With this stuff when I bump the bench now, it doesn't move and I feel it.

cove molding
more than enough for the clock
 I didn't want to use a quarter round molding on the cherry clock like I had done on the poplar clock. I think the quarter round looks good but I wanted something different for this clock. I'll use this just at the top and bottom of the panels to hide any gaps.

A couple of weeks back Brain Eve wrote a blog entry about being perfect. I've been thinking about that since then and how it applies to my hand tool woodworking. I made one large wall clock entirely by hand using S4S pine. That was a large project and it was easy to get everything the same. Were all the parts perfectly the same? No they weren't but everything went together well and the finished project looks good to my eye.

I decided to see if I could duplicate that effort with this box that was a tad bit smaller than the clock. The hardest part for me on both projects, was ripping out the pieces and then planing the edges square and the getting the widths parallel. Squaring the ends and getting them to same lengths was a lot easier.

I expected problems making the box due to the size of the pieces but it didn't happen. After I glued the box up, the corners on the top and bottom were pretty much flush. On one side of the box the tails were proud of the pins but planing during cleanup took take of that.

So does everything have to be dead nuts perfect? No it doesn't. I remember my father telling me you only have to fool the eyes to be perfect. Now I think I understand what he meant.

accidental woodworker

"I found there is only one way to look thin: hang out with fat people."
Rodney Dangerfield

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the plug, Ralph. Glad my post made you think.

    I figure as long as the joints fit, it will look fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brian,
    I'm going with the same thoughts.

    ReplyDelete