I'm calling the tables done. I still have to put 2 more coats of poly on one of the tops and once I've done that the tables will be 100% finished. I got five coats of shellac on the leg/bottom thingies and I don't think I need do anything anymore there.
.I traced the outline of the figure 8 on the top on the apron first with a pencil.. I used that little gouge to outline the figure 8 before I chiseled it out. The gouge wasn't a perfect match but by overlapping I was able to get it done. I then chiseled out most the waste with a 1/2" chisel.
The figure 8's are hidden by the legs. I didn't plan it that way, I just got lucky that it turned out that way. For small tops such as these are, I am going to use 1 figure 8 per leg. If this were a bigger top, I would put a second one per leg were the aprons cross.
I couldn't clamp the tables in either of my vises to do the chiseling and routing. I set them on this table and pinned them against the workbench with my body as I chopped away. For a couple of tables this was ok. If I ever do more than 2, I'll have to come up with some way of securing them so I can work on them body free.
Now that these are done, I noticed that the gaps on the through mortises aren't so visible. You have to get up close and personal to see them. The figure 8 fasteners aren't visible at all. If you get down at their level you can see one or two of them but not all four.
I am not sure if I am going to give these to my friend because I really like them. While I make up my mind this is where I intend to use them. This will give me a little more real estate until I get my desk done.
|used my small router to get consistent depths for the figure 8's|
|one ready for a figure 8|
|one down 7 to go|
|last one done ready for the tops|
|one table top done one more to go|
|temporary resting place|